Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Vacation

This is my first of four vacation weeks.  At first, I was a little bummed that my first vacation week was only 6 weeks after starting internship, but I was certainly ready for it when it came around.  I think that these 6 weeks were more draining that I'd realized. 

So here's all the excitement that has defined my vacation
-I get to do laundry and dishes.  Yes,  I GET to do it.  My sweetie has been taking care of me and doing all the housework; but I really do enjoy feeling like I'm pulling my fair share around here. 

-I sleep until 9am.  I suppose that doesn't seem very late; but it's a solid 4-5 hours later than I'm used to.

-I started my second novel.  Yes, that's right, I'm doing it again.  This one will be sex-scene-less so that my brothers and grandparents can read it.    I've already written >4,000 words, which means its 8% finished.  I'm having a blast playing around with a different writing style.  My last novel was all written in first person, which gave me the chance to develop each character's voice and hear their thoughts.  This one is narrated in third person, which is a different style.  It gives me more liberty to describe scenes in great detail, which I like.  My last novel, I had a great sense of who my characters were, and I let the story grow out of that.  This time it's opposite- I have a great plotline laid out, and I'm letting my characters grow and develop as it goes.  I'm still figuring out what makes them tick.

-I'm catching up on reading my ridiculously large surgical textbook. Surgery residents have a big test every January to make sure that we are learning what we should, and I need to make some significant progress in my textbook to stay on reading schedule.  I've been rotating reading the textbook for an hour, and then working my novel for an hour.  With occasional naps.

-Going back to the novel thing, because that's what I'm most excited about, I'm still planning on finishing by the end of November, so that I can feel a part of NaNoWriMo.  But since I work solidly double what most people work (80 hr/wk v. 40hr/wk) I figured that justified a head start.  It's like using the woman's tee in golf;  this is the MD's version of NaNoWriMo.

-The weather has been gorgeous outside, so most of my novel writing has taken place on our back desk.  YAY!

1 comment:

  1. All of your vacation sounds fabulous except for the surgery textbook part. Hope you have a great break (enjoy the sleep).

    ReplyDelete