Monday, February 6, 2012

The Decisions You Didn't Know You Made

I'm good at multiple choice tests. 

What I've found is that if I can turn a patient into a multiple choice question, then I can generally come up with the right answer.  But my newest realization about patient care is that most of the time when the wrong decision has been made, it's a decision that you didn't know that you made.

When we have a choice, we choose right.   But when we have momentum in a direction and no one is asking any questions; then we charge ahead without recognizing the number of decision that are being made without deliberate consideration.  It's not until something goes wrong that can turn around and look back and saw, "Why didn't we do x, y or z? "

Maybe that's true in life too.   I think that's what mid life crises might be about- all of the sudden you realize that you've made a bunch of decision without realizing it and are somewhere different than you should be.  I'm going to start trying to recognize the impending "mid life crises" of patient care, and recognizing the slowly boiling pot of water that's about to cook the frog.

1 comment:

  1. It is called "freeze thinking": my decision is based on info I have at the time. As more info is received, I don't alter my initial decision. As more and more info is received, we still stay with our original decision even though we know that it is wrong. It takes guts to recognize the flawed initial decision, break out of the freeze to that decision, and make a new decision because others will see that you were wrong. Heaven forbid letting anyone see that we might have been wrong.....

    ReplyDelete